Napa Cabbage is a type of Chinese cabbage.
Napa cabbage grows best when the days are short and mild.
This cabbage is great when shredded raw for salads and also makes a wonderful wrap.The white base stems are great for soups as well.
This vegetable is packed with vitamin K, like all other brassicas in its family like kale. It also belongs to the zero calorie group like celery. Napa cabbage has also been used in many prenatal diets because it is an excellent source of folates that help prevent neurological diseases in infants!
Cut the base off of the napa cabbage and wash leaves. Prepare according to your meal.
Refrigerate napa cabbage in an air tight plastic bag before use.
October, November & December
(Makes about six servings)
12 cabbage leaves
1 cup cooked white rice (cook in beef broth for added flavor)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup minced onion
1 pound extra-lean meat, half ground beef and half ground pork
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 14.5-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes, with liquid
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1. First, steam the entire head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, making sure to cut off the core first. Let the cabbage head boil for about 6-8 minutes -- if you notice leaves separating from the head, you can gently peel away the softened leaves with a long fork. Drain the head of cabbage and peel the necessary amount of leaves when cool.
2. Grab a large bowl and combine the rice, egg, milk, onion, garlic powder, ground beef, ground pork, salt, and pepper. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of this mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll them up, making sure to tuck in the ends.
3. If you'd like to slow cook them, place the rolls in the slow cooker. If you'd like to bake them, place them in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. If you are using the oven, preheat it to 350 degrees F.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
5. If using the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. If using the oven, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
back | printer-friendly version